Acta of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | January-June 2020 | Page 20-22 | Benjamin W. Sears, Mitchell J. Sungelo, Jacqueline E. Bader, Armodios M. Hatzidakis, Charles L. Getz
Authors: Subbiah Venkatesh Babu 
 Deparment of Orthopaedics & Trauma Surgery, Sri Sakthi Hospital, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. S Venkatesh Babu,
Consultant Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgeon, Sri Sakthi Hospital, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, India.
Today, the surgical treatment is being done for most of the elbow diseases and fractures openly, minimally invasive and arthroscopically. The complications after elbow surgery are also in significant proposition. This review exhibits the need of applied anatomical knowledge and operative skills for the surgeon who intends to operate the elbow safely.
Keywords: Safe Surgery, Trauma, Injury, Elbow.
1. Kelly EW et al.,(2001) , Complications of elbow arthroscopy , J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2001 Jan: 83 (1) : 23-34
2. Stanley Hoppenfeld et al., , (2009) Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics, The Anatomic Approach, Fourth Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
3. Zhiquan An et al., (2010) Plating osteosynthesis of mid-distal humeral shaft fractures: minimally invasive versus conventional open reduction technique, International Orthopaedics (SICOT) 2010, 34 : 131-138
4. Jaechon M Kim et al., (2011) Complications of Total Elbow Arthroplasty , J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2011 Jun, 19(6): 328-39
5. Reduan Elfeddali et al., (2013) Arthroscopic Elbow surgery, Is it safe? J Shoulder Elbow Surg , 2013 May; 22 (5): 647-52
6. Nelson et al., (2014) Elbow Arthroscopy: early complications and associated risk factors, J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 2014 Feb: 23(2) : 273-8
7. Rodrigo Kallas Zogaib et al.,(2014) Minimal Invasive Ostheosynthesis for treatment of diaphiseal transverse humeral shaft fractures, Acta Orthop Bras ., 2014; 22(2) : 94-8
8. Daniel Romano Zogbi et al., (2014) Fracture of Distal Humerus : MIPO Technique with visualisation of the Radial Nerve, Acta Orthop Bras , 2014; 22(6) : 300-3
9. Cheung EV et al., (2015) Complications of Elbow Trauma, Hand Clin, 2015, Nov; 31(4) :683-91
10. Izzak F Kodde et al., (2015) Current Concepts in the management of radial head fractures, World J Orthop 2015 December 18;6(11): p 954-960
11. Mohsen Mardani-Kivi et al., (2018), Indications, Results and Complications of Elbow Arthroscopy treatment in Eighteen Patients, Shiraz E-Med J, 2018 June ;19(6):e62606
12. William B Stetson et al., (2018) Avoiding Neurological Complications of Elbow Arthroscopy, Arthroscopy Techniques , Vol 7, No 7 (July), 2018, p717-724
13. William B Stetson et al., (2018), Neurological Complications of Elbow Arthroscopy, Recent Advances in Arthroscopic Surgery, Chapter 9, IntechOpen, p127-144
14. Olga D Savvidou et al., Complications of Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of distal humerus fractures, (2018), Trauma, EFFORT Open Reviews, EOR |Volume 3|October 2018|p 558-567
15. Samuel S Ornell et al.,(2019) Fungal infection following Total Elbow Arthroplasty, Case Rep Orthop ., 2019 : Sep 4; 2019: 1-5
16. Jae-Man Kwak et al., (2019), Total Elbow Arthroplasty; Clinical Outcomes, Complications and Revision Surgery, Clinics in Orthopaedic Surgery 2019;11:p366-379
17. WHO guidelines for safe surgery: safe surgery saves lives, 2009
18. Antimicrobial stewardship: systems and processes for effective antimicrobial medicine use(2015), NICE Guidelines, UK.
|How to Cite this article: Babu SV | Safe Elbow Surgery | Acta of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery | January-June 2020; 4(1): 20-22.|